1. The factory employs children below the local legal minimum age, and/or a minimum age of 14.
2. The factory uses forced, bonded or involuntary labour.
3. Workers are forced to lodge “unreasonable” deposits or their identity papers with their employers, so they are not free to leave after reasonable notice.
4. Workers are subjected to physical abuse, the threat of physical abuse, or intimidating verbal abuse.
5. Accommodation, if provided, is not clearly segregated from the factory or production area.
6. An adequate number of safe, unblocked fire escape routes are not accessible to workers from each floor or area of the factory and accommodation if provided.
7. The factory knowingly and continually contravenes local or national environmental legislation without being able to demonstrate a plan of action to improve.
8. The factory management does not demonstrate a willingness to improve on any significant areas of concern identified during the audit.
9. The factory is not a safe place to work.